Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Walking on Water

How do you suppose Peter felt as he climbed over the edge of the fishing boat and sunk his toes into the Sea of Galilee? With his eyes on Jesus, one foot sloshing in front of the other, the water providing a strange and cold pressure he had never before experienced, Peter made his way across the sea. Slowly and steadily, he balanced above the churning waters.

I close my eyes and see through Peter's eyes. I imagine my own feet taking those steps, halting yet sure, keeping my mind focused on the one ahead. Not looking to the left or right, but only ahead at Jesus. Fleetingly, my mind considers the water and wind, but I immediately refocus and think only this: "Jesus."

Through the tough moments that life has brought lately, I literally picture myself in Peter's shoes. Mustering all the faith I have, I walk. My knees are wobbly, but I set my eyes like flint on the One ahead. And guess, what? It helps! I'm reliving Peter's footsteps over and over.

Unanswered prayer? a tiny Splish.
Circumstances that threaten to drown me? a bitty Splash.
My toes are cold, but my feet are firm.

And then, yesterday came. Like Peter, I noticed the wind! One foot slipped down into the sea, the next one to his calf. In desperation, he cried out to Jesus: "Save me!" And I cry out too.

We all know the end of the story. Jesus reached out to save Peter and he is reaching out to save me. I, like Peter, will end up in the boat, WORSHIPPING Him and saying "Truly you are the son of God." (Luke 14:33)

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm

What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

4 Wonderful Responses:

Kathleen said...

What a beautiful post, Annie! And I hope that through whatever circumstances you are facing, you will truly feel His arms reaching out and pulling you up to Him.

Lauren Delaine said...

Yes, YES, YES!! Eyes fixed on Him we will walk above the storm and on the waters.

But thank God that when we falter His strength pulls us back up.

Walking the stormy seas with you, Annie.

One of my best friends has said, "walking by faith ain't always fun". That's so true! But it's worth the peace.

May His perfect love cover!!!

momof4kr said...

Not sure what's going on dear friend...but, I am here for you if you ever need a specific prayer, a listening ear, etc. In the mean time, I will be lifting you up in prayer.
Your writings are always so moving.
As I always say, this is your God-given gift.
Love u

Sammoch said...

Beautiful post my friend...XOXO