Thursday, February 01, 2007

Namesake

Of course, Luke James Hankins, you know that you are named after your papa. We talk about that all the time. We marvel at the uncanny similarities between you and your papa, and it's funny how several people who don't even know you two that well have commented to me, "Luke reminds me of your Dad." Yes, he does. But I'm also hoping you inherit some traits of your lesser-known namesake, Luke Spencer-Gardner. Luke Spencer-Gardner came to ORU from his native Australia. He played for us for four years and was a junior the year you were born. Uncle Scott often referred to him as the "heart and soul" of our team. And that he was. It was his leadership, his teamwork, and his work ethic that made him shine on the court. It was his speech on senior night that gave me a real window into the kind of person he is: intelligent, genuine, and God-fearing. I hope you get a few of those qualities, and I won't mind if you inherit his knack for shooting the THREE either. (Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuke Spencer-Gardner for 1-2-THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!) Luke gets back to some ORU games once in a while. He is quite busy being married and living in Kansas, doing GREAT in his first year of medical school. LSG's mom took this picture of you two before the Montana game, and sent it to us from Australia. That's a little about your namesake.

2 Wonderful Responses:

Kim Sutton said...

Yes, I have to agree, LSG is an awesome gentleman! He is the picture of how you would want your son to be when he grew up. I have faith that little Luke Hankins will live up to his namesakes, Papa James and LSG!

Anonymous said...

Hey Luke I do like that middle name!

Papa James