Sunday, May 27, 2007

Our Last Skidamarinky Doo

Friday was the girls' last day of school. Normally, it is a day I welcome. I usually don't fall into too much sentimentality (oh boo-hoo, it's my child's last day of kindergarten,) but this May 25th, the sentimentality fell into me. It has been THE BEST year. Kami's teacher, Mrs. Zemanek, has been challenging, sweet, fun, interesting, organized, encouraging, and engaging, a fabulous 3rd grade teacher. She's irreplacable. And Ellie's teacher, Mrs. Swaim, is just a jewel. So sweet and laid back and amazing with those kiddos. The pied piper of kindergarten teachers is she. The whole class can be in an uproar, and she begins quietly singing... and no kidding, I have witnessed this several times... within 30 seconds they are all sitting around her singing too. Here she is sitting on her new rocking chair that the class gave to her (you can see another picture of it below) surrounded by Ellie's classmates. As the class stood in line at the door, singing their final song together, I found myself wanting to capture the moment forever. It hit me hard that it was Ellie's last Skidamarinky Doo with Mrs. Swaim. It is a song that she ended her days with all year long. Here are the words:
Skidamarinky Dinky Dink, Skidamarinky Doo, I Love YOU!
I Love you in the morning and in the afternoon.
I Love you in the Evening and Underneath the Moon,
Oh, Skidamarinky Dinky Dink, Skidamarinky Doo, I Love You!
(Yes, I do!) I Love You (See you Tomorrow!)
I LOVE You, Doo, Boop-Boopy Doo, Yeah!

0 Wonderful Responses: