Thursday, May 08, 2008

Contraption

The Princess of Hearts loves boxes and strings and jump ropes and pocketknives and rocks and paper clips and little bits of nature. It is in her pockets that I discover all sorts of odds and ends that she has collected throughout her day... bottle caps, pieces of string and all sorts of other interesting stuff. On a good day, you could say she's an avid recycler and on a bad day, you could relegate her to a pack rat. Anyway, she also has great, creative ideas about what to do with all of her stuff, and a couple days ago, after school, she set off determined to make a contraption. Using part of her collection (a box, jump ropes, pieces of yarn and an old white plastic parachute from an ORU game) she created a state-of-the-art-box-parachute that was supposed to fly open at the tug on the yarn. I didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't going to work, but just allowed her to experiment over and over and over again. She thought the air by the fence may be a little different than by the fort, so she tried each place several times. She also attempted different ways of jumping. The parachute never quite carried her to the ground the way she imagined, but I couldn't help but get a kick out of her t-shirt that day. The message couldn't have been any more perfect: "Little girl Big dreams"

2 Wonderful Responses:

Anonymous said...

ELLIE

HI GREAT JOB YOU MAKE THE SONG SO TRUE.
"I BELIEVE I CAN FLY" YOU ARE AWESOME WAY COOL.


LOVE MRS. NICOLE

PS. THE FROGS ARE BACK ELLIE WHAT EVER SHALL I DO?

Traci said...

Ellie I like the way you made the parashote. When I come over can you teach me how to make it. Love Carington