Monday, July 13, 2009

Big Fun in a Small Town

First came Tahlequah and now Thomas.

It was so funny.

In passing, while the kids were having lunch, I mentioned that oh... by the way....we'd be going to Thomas to visit the Wilsons in a couple of days.

YAHOO!!!!!! WHEN? HOW LONG ARE WE STAYING? YEEEEEEEEEEEEAHHHHH! WOO-HOO! CAN'T WAIT! LET'S GOOOO! I had to silence the masses. They were out of control with anticipation of our three hour drive to the town with not even a stoplight.

There may be no traffic control there, but what they do have can't be found in the city limits of where we live.

Open lands.Payton and Brennon.A different way of livin'.A backyard garden that resembles the size of a football field.
Sweet corn right off the stalk.Witnessing the earthy birth of strawberries, melons and a host of veggies.Larry.Enormous tractors regularly sharing the road with my now rather small-feeling SUV.The driver of the tractor offering my kids a ride in his country drawl: "Ya'll kids wanna ride on our fertlizer spreader?" (see Luke below along for the ride?)Friendship that digs down into my soul.

The smell of freedom.

Stars that seem to cut beams straight down to us.

The echoes of God in your heart.

That's why we go to Thomas.

And you better believe that we'll be going back!

5 Wonderful Responses:

Melinda said...

Aw man, you were just write down the road from me. Next time you'll have to let me know so that we can meet for lunch!

Dawn said...

You just can't beat country livin'!!! I think it's the best place for kids to grow up. They are allowed a lot more freedoms than those that live in cities. I sometimes feel bad for my girls.

Great pictures. Glad you had a great time.

Shannon said...

something to be said (and you said it so well) for the simple pleasures in life... good thing to show your kids too.

Kathleen said...

"The echoes of God in your heart." :)

Great pictures! And what a great time away for your family!!

Ker said...

I love what you wrote!! You are a doll! We enjoyed your visit. Y'all come back now ... ya hear?