Friday, October 09, 2009

Kindergarten Confessions

You may remember our struggles with Luke's FIRST Kindergarten year. We had roughs and tumbles and timeouts and even a trip or two to the Principal. I think I about used up all my tears and brain cells trying to figure out what to do with the child.


After much talking and reading and discussing and praying, Luke is now in superkindergarten, and he has an alias. He has transformed into a boy named "L.J." Before school started, we heard that his class was bursting full of Lukes, so he took it upon himself to find a different name. Luke James dubbed himself L.J.

It's been such a fantastic year so far that I may insist that he goes by L.J. every year. Now, to clarify, we haven't had parent teacher conferences yet... however, it feels better. It feels like he is NOW ready for kindergarten. There seems to be a peace and a certainty with Luke's situation that I was afraid wouldn't find me for years. It probably helps that Luke's teacher is an angel sent straight to her earthly classroom strictly for one little 6 year old stinkbug named L.J. She's beyond fantastic.

Anyway, the boy just cracks me up. I walked by his classroom this morning and observed some of L.J. and his classmates' art on the walls. The children were apparently supposed to draw a picture of what their family likes to do together.
Here is Kylie's creation. She and her family enjoy swimming in Grandma's pool.Annette and her family love to go to church. How sweet.
L.J.'s friend Wyatt has a family who enjoys boating. I love Maya's picture of her family playing tic tac toe.

and here is L.J.'s picture. Read the bottom of the page: "My family likes to have fun together. Here is a picture of us. We are on a trip on a pirate ship." There is even a cannon firing and I believe we are holding guns. I hope that is Tom up on the mast.

7 Wonderful Responses:

momof4kr said...

One word: AWESOME

ThatsBaloney said...

Funny! I have some pics of Jacob's I plan to post, too.

Amanda Herrold said...

Cute! By the way, in 2nd grade there were 3 Amandas in my class so I went by Elizabeth (my middle name). Only, I didn't tell my parents. So they went for the conference and the teacher kept talking about Elizabeth and my Mom was like, "I think you are talking about the wrong kid."

Shannon said...

I'm liking that pirate ship. I'm pretty sure that's you up in the crow's nest. Nothing like kid's art to get a glimpse of what is really going on in their little (big?) minds. It's often very enlightening.

Kathleen said...

I'm so glad the year is going well for you and your precious little boy!! I LOVE his picture--his detail is just awesome!!

Valerie said...

Classic. That is just classic.

Sammoch said...

Well...it is a very detailed pirate ship! I think he is gifted...