Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween at the Hospital

Well, we had planned to spend Halloween afternoon at Granny's house. Instead we spent it at the hospital, because that's where Granny is right now.

I took all 6 kids (my 3 and my sister's 3) up to see her.

She hadn't slept all night, had her right leg in traction, and acted as though she was delighted to see everyone. She kept asking me if I needed anything. Like a snack or drink. In a hospital bed in traction, and still trying to serve others.

There were other relatives there besides us, so it seemed like a party. We were all crammed in the room, but it didn't seem weird, because we pack ourselves in her house like that too.

As everyone was talking and visiting, I went to granny's bed and took her hand. As I started massaging her arm lightly, I decided to sing "How Great Thou Art." It's a good thing she can't hear too well, because I can't sing too well. But I looked at her and saw she had her eyes closed as though she was relaxed and peaceful.

I love that woman beyond words.

Two kids cried upon sight of granny in that bed, and that was my Ellie and Luke. They both tried to hold it back, but seeing her like that I imagine was hard for all of us.

Tomorrow she will have surgery to place a steel rod in her leg and fix her "Halloween trick" as she calls it. She has the faith that her Lord will carry her through. Our prayers could only serve to support her even more.


3 Wonderful Responses:

Kathleen said...

Like I've said before, I LOVE hearing about Granny; she seems like an extraordinary woman full of grace with a big, big heart! Praying for her recovery!

Lauren Delaine said...

This post made me cry. I am praying and believing with you all for Granny. I see that this was posted yesterday and I pray that surgery went well. Please keep us posted.

4 Lettre Words said...

She is such a blessing.

I'm so sad to hear about the fall. Saying a prayer now...