Sunday, September 11, 2011

Running

Life has been fast and furious for our family lately.
We've been putting in some serious miles and navigating some new terrain.

What am I referring to specifically?
Thanks for asking!
Well, let me tell ya....

In May, I decided to pursue a particular full time job. Just one little thing, I needed to take 12 hours in one summer to be properly certified. So, with my family's support, I buried myself in a pile of books, tests and papers and completed the necessary requirments (all A's I must add - to God be the glory. With all sincerity, I say it was God and God alone who orchestrated this opportunity and made it possible for me to complete it). In late July, the job was mine and I had a few short days to ready my classroom and prepare my mind to teach 5th grade Language Arts.
Besides the fact that Ellie and Luke both moved schools within our district, in June, we also made the decision to transfer Kami Rae to a private school. Putting your child in a private school is like a mini-marathon in itself.... exciting yet demanding.... all new friends, procedures, uniforms, expectations, and I could go on and on. Hard stuff, but good stuff. Kinda like a good, long, run down Riverside. Along with taking on a new school, Kami decided to take on a new sport, cross country. She started in July, running in 100+ degree weather at noon. It was brutal. Just driving over there in the heat (some days were over 110!) was horrendously hot, but running in it? Half-way crazy.

But that's how it's been around here since May. A little crazy. A little heavy. A little tough. And a lot blessed. I really love my job... demanding as though it is. Ellie and Luke are adjusting well. Metro Christian Academy is a good fit for Kami, and the running.... well, the running has been amazing.... here is Kami in her second cross country meet.

DSC_0736
But first let me tell you about her first meet a couple weekends ago. None of us had even been to a XC meet before, much less run in one. So our expectations were low but hearts were pounding as we watched our baby run around the corner towards the finish line in third place! And then in the meet above, she triumphed in a close second place, despite a week of sickness and not regular practice. Wowzers! Go Kami Rae!

Even though the feeling of running is raw, exhausting - every cell of your body seems to be in use - it is always an exhilirating feeling afterward. And that is what I keep coming back to... as our family runs together, I pray Hebrews 12: 1-2....."Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

4 Wonderful Responses:

momof4kr said...

I love to see young people running...it truly is exhilarating! Can't wait to schedule our brown bag lunch - we've got a lot of catchin' up to do! :-)

Anonymous said...

Amazing girl... truly amazing!
Kimbo RAe

Shannon said...

GO KAMI! She's got the look of runner...got them long legs all over the place.

Heather Keith said...

Way to Go Kami! That is so awesome!