Saturday, March 01, 2008

Am I the Only One Who Does This?

Most of the time, when I am out and about and doing my thing, I observe people, as I believe most other people do. Whether I am pushing the cart down the aisle at Wal-Mart or standing in line at the post office, it just seems a normal thing to look around at the people. I guess a part of me likes to guess at their stories. Who they are, where they've been, and where they're going. I admire their smiles and wonder at their sadness.

But the "this" I'm referring to in my post title is not just people watching; I know a lot of people do that. What happens to me sometimes, and I know this sounds strange, is that as I am looking at that person, I get a glimpse of what that person looked like as a child. I mean I don't literally get a vision, like the burning bush. But somehow, I see that person not as who they are, but as who they have been throughout their life. And I'm not just talking physical appearance, though that is part of it. It is a strange sensation, because I actually FEEL for that person. I mean, when I am in the check-out-line and the cashier is preoccupied and snippy, sometimes,
[SOMETIMES, NOT ALWAYS] something gives me the ability to see beyond the snippiness and into her past. For just a fraction of a second, I see the innocent eyes, the pain-filled heart, the confused paths, the great joy, the serious sadness, and it is enough to make my heart pause and say "wow."

What's more, is it works in reverse too. I can look at kids and again "see" them as adults. It reminds me that everything I do to that child or for that child will impact him for the rest of his life.

One more thing: not to worry. This does NOT work on people I know. Just doesn't. I'm not I repeat NOT sitting at lunch with you envisioning you as a child or in the assisted living care facility. It doesn't even enter my mind, to tell the truth. I know you may think I'm weird.... but what I believe is that this is a gift. Not like a weird, supernatural thing at all - No Cris Angel here!!!! But just a tiny way for me to put my own feelings aside for a moment and consider the soul of somebody else.

0 Wonderful Responses: