Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Grandma I's House

The red, brick walls of Granny's house hold the memories of my life. Having slumber parties and innumerable holiday celebrations, playing dominos, enjoying the porch swing, learning to quilt, kissing Grandpa Ernie, wrestling with Mack and Pete, eating beans and cornbread at the big, round table, baking mudpies in the backyard with Heather, goofing around with all my cousins, smelling the scent of breakfast, gathering for a lunch of coneys, watching The Young and the Restless, hugging, taking pictures, laughing and smiling.... and that's just the crust of the apple pie.
That house is full of life, love, and one amazing 95 year old lady. What makes my heart soar is that my children are now making memories of their own right there in that same tiny house. Granny's house couldn't be any bigger than 800 square feet, but what it holds is rare and irreplaceable. The memories have taken residence in my heart, and I hope the same will hold true for all the kids as they play on the porch swing, walk next door to Harvey's (Mr. Raney's), run wild in the backyard and play games in the house. Granny, I don't think you'll ever truly grasp the effect you've had, not only on my life, but on the lives of all your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren.



2 Wonderful Responses:

Anonymous said...

two monkies in a cage.

Nana

ellen said...

I hope you don't mind if I piggyback this idea... My granny is one of the most important people in my life and I need to document it for my kiddos!