Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Yet Another Jesus Question

Though the funniest Jesus question had to be Luke's, I have to document this one. As we were riding home from school, Ellie asked, "Mom, does God like it when we study?" I said, "sure He does." Of course God likes it when kids do their homework, right? Anything I can do to enforce that I will. But my "sure He does" wasn't good enough. She kept questioning... "I mean in the Bible, does it say studying is good?" I said again, "yes, I'm sure it's a good thing." "But does Jesus WANT us to study?" she demanded? I said, "well, I know He likes it when you study the Bible." I guess I had missed her point... because it was at this time she became exasperated and said, "MOM, does Jesus want us to STUDY stuff for school?" I knew at this point I'd better come up with a good answer. I thought a second... "well, in the Bible it says that Jesus increased in stature and wisdom. Anything that Jesus did would be good for us to do! And He did grow taller and smarter." I held my breath hoping this answer would satisfy her. Without missing a beat, she said, "So if I can do anything Jesus did, then I can get lost from my parents like Jesus did that one time."

2 Wonderful Responses:

Anonymous said...

That Ellie is a piece of work. Daaaaaaaad

ellen said...

I love how The Holy Spirit starts working on their hearts when they are so young. Those little conversations are awesome!