Thursday, January 15, 2009

For the Man Who Has Everything

Christmas and Birthdays for my Dad are next to impossible. You know how men are... when they want something, they usually just go get it! Leaving their loved ones going... well, how about another Hideaway Gift Card? Or maybe it should be Home Depot this year.

My dad is the kind of man that you really want to give to because he gives so much to you all year long. He takes care of his daughters. Just last week, he helped me install a new igniter on my oven (or should I say he installed it while I sat there and held the flashlight.)

He has two other loves besides me and my sister... 1) his grandkids and 2) music. As long as he's been a grandpa, he's been interested in getting those two loves together! He encourages us to get them in music lessons and even sits down with them and guides them through a practice. He takes us to piano concerts and when the kids play for him, he acts like he's listening to Beethoven.

Well, this Christmas, my sister came up with a brilliant idea for his Christmas gift: A music concert! We made up an invitation to give him on Christmas morning and the kids starting perfecting their "Papa songs." Luke and Maggie (who aren't in lessons yet) practiced their scales and notes. We found darling music note t-shirts at Target and when the thing we down... it was really cute, even with Ellie's scathing rendition of "Baa-Baa Blacksheep" on the untuned guitar.

10 Wonderful Responses:

Kathleen said...

What a creative and PRECIOUS gift you and your sis gave your dad!!

Valerie said...

As a pianist you KNOW how much this post made me smile! Too cute!

rk said...

Hi Annie,

Is this what you are looking for?

Link:
http://roxannekristina.blogspot.com/search/label/God%27s%20Cover%20and%20Lift

I added the label "God's Cover and Lift" if you ever need to find it again in my label list.

If this is not it, let me know.

Have a most wonderful day!!!

Blessings Friend,
Roxanne

Amber said...

Thats a great idea!I bet he loved it!!!

Dawn said...

Oh, Annie... what a sweet gift to your dad. I love their little shirts and skirts.

Your family just seems so precious. I LOVE my family but could you all adopt me for every other holiday?!?! :)

Melinda said...

What an absolutely precious idea - not only will he cherrish that for the rest of his life, but your kids will as well.

Kim said...

How excited he must have been. I bet he had goose bumps galore as well as pride for his musical grand kids.

4 Lettre Words said...

So awesome, Annie! Love the idea AND the costumes!

Anonymous said...

that is so precious annie! when i was about seven or eight i gave my dad a similar gift. i started piano lessons at six and taught myself how to play "laura's theme" from dr. zhivago (sp?) on the piano and played it for him for christmas. he was crying. it was his favorite song and your post totally reminded me of that! i never met your dad, but he always sound(ed)s like such a wonderful man...didn't he buy you girls an emroidery machine years ago? i mean THAT'S love and devotion! congrats on the music concert! so sweet and cute! many blessings!

Annie said...

I love that idea! How cute are those kids?!?!?