Sunday, November 19, 2006

A Great Family Outing

I read about Letterboxing in Family Fun magazine and never really thought it would be something we could do right here in lil' ol' Tulsa, Oklahoma. I thought only places like California would have letterboxes placed. When I logged on to letterboxing.org, though, I was amazed that there are about 15 existing boxes in our city alone, with dozens more in surrounding areas. So we got our supplies together, followed the clues, and searched, truly searched until we found the well-hidden boxes, one near Hunter Park and the other near ORU. The kids, especially Kami, LOVED it. It was a real treasure hunt, and the reward was stamping our books with the discovered stamps. This first picture shows the squirrel stamp we found at our first stop, and the praying hands we found at the second stop. If you have NO IDEA what I'm talking about, (I had NEVER heard of such a thing myself) you can find an explanation of it here. It is apparently a 150 year old activity and has really become popular in America in the last few years. I'm sure the internet has a lot to do with that. But our whole family enjoyed it; even Luke got into the action, stamping his notebook. We are thinking about planting a letterbox of our own somewhere. But we'll never tell where.... you'll have to follow the clues!!!

3 Wonderful Responses:

Anonymous said...

Love the letter boxing pics. Sound exactly like something Annie & Kim would have enjoyed doing.
Nana

Anonymous said...

Educate me to this interesting game. I can just see how Kami would enjoy this.

papa Jim

Kim Sutton said...

What a fine, good-looking couple!