Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Tennis, Anyone?

As you may have read in one of my past posts, I have recently taken up tennis.

Those words "taken up tennis" bounce around ridiculously in my mind. When I size myself up, I couldn't be any farther from a tennis player. Despite multiple attempts as a child to find my sports niche, I never found enough coordination to have any success. It was so bad that I was CUT from my college sorority intramural basketball team. No kidding. PEOPLE DON'T GET CUT FROM INTRAMURAL SORORITY TEAMS. I did.

Add on to my lack of athletic ability that I am not the tennis club type, really. What is the type? Oh, I don't know, but I am fairly sure that I am not it.

However, I have this friend who I call Recruiter Rhonda. She is just one of those people who is really good at motivating people. Really REALLY good. She's got me playing tennis. That is nothing short of a Roger Federer Ace. What is really amazing is that I am enjoying it! I think the ability to learn new things at any age is one amazing gift that God has given us. Now, I am not saying I am good, but I can hit it over the net!

All this just sets the stage for what happened yesterday. I went to my tennis drill group at the tennis club where I have already had my share of embarrasing moments: I have fallen twice while trying to hit the ball... right on my tushie. But drill went well, and I had to leave a little early for a meeting, so I went into the ladies locker room where I am always a bit nervous. I changed back into my work clothes and was excited at the assortment of free products on the counter. As I refixed my hair, I delightedly grabbed the hair spray and sprayed away. That is when I noticed the ladies in the locker room giving me a strange look. It clicked.

I was spraying my hair with aerosol deodorant.

13 Wonderful Responses:

Valerie said...

Hahahahaha! That's hilarious! Good thing you seem to be the type that can laugh at yourself. At least you know we've ALL had embarrassing moments! Just one of those awesome parts of life, haha...

Mike said...

Remember that shampoo "Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific!"...that's you! Be thankful it wasn't a stick or roll-on! Now THAT would've been embarrassing!

Dawn said...

LOL! You are too funny.

Good for you for taking up a new hobby! And, I do picture you as the tennis "type". =)

Dawn said...

Oh, and I could use a Rhonda in my life. Not a tennis Rhonda, but a Rhonda none-the-less. =)

Kathleen said...

You know, aerosol deoderant in the hair isn't bad as opposed to where I THOUGHT you were going with this: That you discovered you were changing in the men's room rather than the ladies' room. NOT that I've ever had any embarrassing experiences with that or anything.

Glad you're enjoying tennis.

Anonymous said...

Oh Annie, I am chuckling inside! Mom

ThatsBaloney said...

You know you are super busy when things like that happen. I bet your hair smelled great?!

momof4kr said...

This story makes a fellow Momma feel so much more normal. :)

Love your authentic, honest ways!!

Shannon said...

well, atleast it wasn't preparation H on a toothbrush in the men's locker room with toilet paper stuck to your shoe. Have fun with your tennis!

@nnie said...

Yes, Valerie, I HAVE to laugh at myself. Otherwise, I would only cry. And Yes, Kathleen, I have definitely gone into the wrong bathroom before, but to go in and stay and change and spray my hair, now THAT would be the ultimate embarrassment. Remind me to tell you about the time my skirt fell off in public. And yes, Shannon, it could be much worse. Thanks for humoring me, everyone.

4 Lettre Words said...

You are so funny!

Love that you're "getting into the swing of things", tho. :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds like something I'd do! How funny! You're all set now for if your hair sweats!

Kim said...

Can't help but think about "Bathroom stall Beaty." Wish I was there to make sure no one butted in front of my friend!