Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Do You Ever Get Afraid At Night?

Do you ever check, double check, and triple check the doors and/or alarm?
Do you ever sleep with the TV on just to have a little comfort with your significant other away?
Do you ever hear a little creak or crack in the house and it sends you spinning?
Do you sleep with a gun or knife under your pillow?
I admit, I have done (some) of these things, and yes that I have been afraid, very afraid.

That pretty much changed in me though, when I had a slap in the face from my Granny. No, she didn't actually slap me. But in talking with her one day a couple of years ago, I noticed a few things.


She is old. Very old.
She can't hear at night because she takes off her hearing aid.
She lives in a very rough part of town.
Murders in her neighborhood are not uncommon.
She doesn't have a fancy shmancy alarm system or deadbolt for that matter.
She at times stays alone at night.
She believes in God, and that He will take care of her. Period.

See video below. I got her on my iphone last week talking about this subject. Ignore the shrieky voice that is me (doesn't everyone hate the sound of their own recorded voice?) plus my obnoxious mom-snap
.....and just listen to her wise and amazing words.




How, you might ask, does she have this much faith?

..... see below .....

So then FAITH comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. ~Romans 10:17

Everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. ~1 John 5:4

They asked Him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?" Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." ~John 6:28-29

FAITH ISN'T FAITH UNTIL IT'S ALL YOU ARE HOLDING ON TO.

7 Wonderful Responses:

Nadra said...

Oh Annie...How precious. She is just lovely. What wise and wonderful words. Such a woman of faith. Just to have that on video is worth a million. :)

Valerie said...

I. Love. Your. Granny.

Seriously. :)

Shannon said...

iGreat video. What a treasure. I have gotten real nervous at night when the Captain is gone, but that has gotten easier over the years. She's a wise lady, that Granny of yours.

Unknown said...

What wise words! Thanks for sharing! BTW, I use the "Mom Snap" all the time!

Tracey said...

I love Gran I!!! She is sooo cute!!! I can't wait to come home this summer and hopefully spend some time quilting with her!!!! You and your kids (and the rest of your wonderful family) are so lucky that you get to spend so much time with Granny!!!

Please give her a hug from me when you see her next!!!

Love to you all!

TableForFive said...

WOW Anne what an amazing bit of wisdom! She is precious!

Lauren Delaine said...

Oh Granny, I love you!

This made me all kinds of happy, Annie!

The beginning of your post sounded a lot like Joe. He checks,checks again and re-checks EV-ER-Y-THING! The doors, the alarm, the windows, the kids. Can drive me crazy at times.

But my dad summed this up nicely for me once when I was sharing Joe's OCD tendencies with him (sorry, Joe). He said,"leave him alone!"

SO I do. At least he's protective.

But Granny is so right!

Can I share Granny with you?

Please?

I didn't grow up with a Granny. Aren't you feeling bad? Good. Call Granny.